Is banner fatigue harming your display campaign? Part 2
What is Banner fatigue and how can you fight it? In this last insert of this blog, we discuss banner fatigue in detail and provide tips on prevention.
WHAT IS BANNER FATIGUE?
Banner fatigue or ad fatigue refers to the decline in click-through rate (CTR) and conversion after banners have been left to run for a certain amount of time.
Simply put, people start losing interest after seeing the same ad over and over again, and the end result is fewer clicks on these ads.
⢟ HOW TO PREVENT BANNER FATIGUE
1) Engaging Ads - When creating your display ads, you need to look at them from a different perspective:
- Your content, as well as your images, need to be relevant and eye-catching.
- Your call to action needs to be clever and appealing.
- Lastly, don't be scared to experiment; play around with different colours, etc.
2) Be Creative - You need to think of new ideas on a regular basis and change your ads accordingly. For example, we are noticing a return and popularity in GIF images.
3) Rotate your ads - Don’t leave the same set of ads to run for a long period of time. We encourage you to rotate your ads, make changes to existing ads or simply create new ads on a regular basis. Over time, you will be able to do A/B testing. An example of A/B testing would be one styled display campaign (A) vs another (B). Ultimately you are comparing which display ad is performing better and of course keeping to what works.
4) Audience demographic - Do thorough research on who your target market is. Check your data in Google Analytics, you may find your audience and their interests are much wider than anticipated. Change your ads according to their interests and monitor your data on a regular basis.
With any campaign, you have already invested a large amount of time and money, with the goal to yield results (clicks on your ads). Banner fatigue is a threat to your campaigns, however, by addressing this early, this can be avoided. The above tips and information should help you think differently about your future planning in regards to Google Display campaigns and how or where to improve these ads to guarantee success.
We’ve helped numerous companies run effective Google Display Network (GDN) campaigns and we’d be delighted to work with your brand or company to increase your leads.