If you are still under the impression that your website is just a simple replacement for your actual brick and mortar business (for those business owners who still have an office that is), think again.
YOUR WEBSITE’S MAIN FUNCTION SHOULD ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING OBJECTIVES
- Increase visibility and brand awareness.
- Represent your products and services.
- Capture qualified leads.
- Assist in the increase in revenue.
There are literally hundreds of strategies out there, but you need to focus on what actually works, in order to achieve your goals.
There is no one size fits all strategy, each business differs and just because someone you know achieved exceptional results using Facebook ads, for example, doesn’t mean it will work for your business and your website’s objectives.
In order to achieve the objectives listed above, we created a few essential pillars to consider when planning your online marketing success for 2018.
Mobile internet usage has clearly surpassed desktop usage, this is plainly evident when we look at the majority of our client’s monthly stats on Google Analytics. Whether the traffic comes from PPC (pay per click) campaigns, social or organic search, mobile seems to be the clear winner.
USER EXPERIENCE ON MOBILE VS DESKTOP
A mobile-first website’s main intent should be focused on a user’s positive mobile experiences and not just a mobile-friendly website. Have a closer look at your data in Google Analytics and start measuring traditional metrics such as:
- High Bounce Rate – a high bounce rate means people get to a page of your website, then leaves your website without browsing any further. Go and have a look at your high bounce rate pages in Analytics. Test your high bounce rate pages with your smartphone, the chances are your user experience isn’t great on mobile.
- New Vs Returning – new visitors are people who are visiting your website for the first time. Returning visitors are people that have already been to your website and are visiting your website again. If you find a low number of returning visitors from mobile devices, the chances are your website’s user experience is poor.
- Low Conversion rate – if you notice a low conversion rate on your website pages from mobile devices, the chances are people have had a hard time to complete an action such as completing a form, making a call to a number or sending an email from a link or button. As mentioned before, testing these experiences on your mobile phone will uncover some interesting discoveries.
MOBILE FIRST CHECKS CAN INCLUDE
Mobile Speed Test:
Check your website’s mobile speed using the following free tool from Google; Mobile Speed Check. This clever tool gives your website a rating based on a poor to a good performing page speed, it also gives you a list of improvements which a web developer can implement to increase page speed.
Google uses numerous factors to rank your website and a fast loading website is one of the more important factors Google looks at to rank your website, so make sure you fix your website’s speed for optimal results.
AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages):
Improve your website for mobile with AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages). AMP helps your website to provide an awesome user experience with faster loading website pages and ads across different devices and platforms. With AMP, your website pages will be easily accessed from any device especially form a mobile device. Implement AMP on your site for further improved performance and SEO improvements.
Structured data helps search engines such as Google understand your website’s data better. More importantly, it helps people browsing the internet on their mobile phone with more information about your website such as articles, events, products, etc. For example, you’re looking for an article about recipes, you browse the internet for recipe articles. The websites that have implemented structured data will have extra information about the recipe in the search results such as the author, a date of when the article was written, a short description of the article, an image, etc.
You can easily add structured data using the following tool from Google Search Console; Improve Your Look In Search.
Don’t just write articles for the sake of bulking up your website’s content, the internet is saturated with useless content, focus on quality content that serves a purpose, ask the question;
- Why am I writing this content?
- Does it serve a particular purpose?
- Is your content helpful to potential clients visiting/reading your content?
A recent survey conducted revealed that 70% of people said they’d rather learn about a business through an article than an ad. So, what are you waiting for? Write quality and useful articles for your target audience and benefit from getting more leads from your website. Content should always serve the business purpose and have a call to action next to the information, for e.g. Contact us now, Fill in the form, Free Website Analysis, Need a quote, etc.
QUALITY MOBILE CONTENT COMES FROM OPTIMISING ALL MULTIMEDIA
When it comes to SEO, don’t just focus on the text, optimise all multimedia, i.e. videos, images and audio files. Use images, infographics and video to tell a story. People don’t like to read too much but are more interested in viewing alternative types of media which is quicker and easier to digest and understand.
If you serious about your SEO marketing strategy and effectiveness, get your website mobile ready. Make sure that you measure and understand the usage and analytics data of your website and understand the difference in user behaviour on mobile vs desktop. This crucially impacts your return on investment.